Sunday 19 February 2012

Curried chickpea and broccoli burgers

I'm usually not a huge fan of the ready-made vegan burgers you can find, although not always easily, in shops. With a few exceptions, they don't taste of too much in my opinion. Still, there are days when a nice burger is exactly what I feel like. Well, no worries, as they say in Australia ;) A few months ago I got a fantastic book that has plenty of great burger recipes: 'The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet'. The book has 101 vegan burgers recipes. Some of them require ingredients which might be a bit difficult to get, for example textured vegetable protein (TVP), while others use easily available and affordable products, such as, well, vegetables ;), rice, nuts, oats or various flours. The below recipe contains vital wheat gluten flour, which in Belgium I usually get at Bio-Planet. It can also be bought online.

Curried Chickpea and Broccoli Burger
(for 6 to 8 burgers)

2 cans (or 840g) of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. tahini paste
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. green curry paste (I didn't have any at hand, so I used the yellow curry powder, 1 tbsp., and cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp.)
1/2 cup (or 72g) vital wheat gluten flour
salt and pepper
1 cup (71 g) broccoli florets, steamed (I simply put them for a few minutes in boiling water) and chopped
oil, for frying (optional)

I increased the amounts by 50%, which gave me 10 burgers. I used more garlic and more broccoli than the recipe suggests.

In a bowl, combine the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, oil, curry paste (or powder), flour, salt and pepper. The recipe suggests mashing everything together using your hands or using a food processor. I definitely didn't manage to mash too much with my hands ;) I used a blender, leaving part of the mixture unblended, to have some whole chickpeas in the burgers. Then add the broccoli and combine. If the dough is too wet, add some more flour. If it is too dry, add some more oil (mine was just right). Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.

Now you can either fry the burgers, 4-5 minutes per side, or you can bake them. I hate frying ;) That's another reason why I like this book - most of the burgers can be baked in the oven as well. The recipe suggests baking them covered with a foil tent to keep the moisture for 15 minutes on each side at 180°C, until firm and beginning to brown. I baked mine under the foil tent for at least 25 minutes on each side. I was very positively surprised to see that they kept their shape really well and remained very moist. I served them with some homemade whole-wheat buns, ketchup and various vegetables. They were really delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment