Sunday 11 December 2011

My vegan Bailey's

I used to love Bailey's before going vegan. And while my love for other 'old times' foods, e.g. cheese, quickly faded away or turned into a 'how could I ever eat that?' feeling, my affection for Bailey's has stayed. Usually I am very much against trying to make vegan substitutes of non-vegan dishes. Why would I ever want to eat something that's supposed to taste like a cow or fish? I'd rather not, really, even if it's 100 percent vegan. But in case of Bailey's I see it differently, the only non-vegan ingredient is cream, which isn't the dominant taste in the drink as such. So I thought I would give it a try and make my own vegan version of it. I had a look at some online ideas, I compared them with my own memories of the taste, and here's what I came up with:

Vegan Bailey's

1 cup creamy coconut milk (I used 'extra creamy coconut milk' from Santa Maria) 
1 cup coffee
1/2 cup Irish whiskey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. agave syrup (I think brown sugar would also work)

Blend all the ingredients at high speed, pour over ice and serve! Easy, right? ;)

It tastes great! The only difference is the consistency, the original is a bit thicker. I think it this could be achieved with coconut milk creamer, but that's unfortunately very hard to get here. But the taste for sure makes up for this little difference.

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment