Sunday 6 November 2011

Roasted Roots

The original recipe for this delicious side dish comes from The Candle Café Cookbook, one of my all-time favourite cooking books. The authors are the owners of Candle 79 vegan restaurant in New York. I used a bit more vegetables and garlic, I also made more marinade. Here is the slightly adjusted recipe:

Roasted roots (serves 4 as a side dish)

2 medium carrots, cut into 2 cm pieces
3 parsnips or root parsleys, peeled and cut into small chunks
2 beetroots, peeled and cut into small chunks
2 yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
3 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. tamari or shoyu soy sauce
pinch of dried basil, oregano, thyme
freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the vegetables on a shallow baking sheet. In a small bowl combine the olive oil, soy sauce, herbs, pepper and salt, mix well. Pour over the vegetables and mix well. I do it with my hand, in fact sometimes I put all the marinade ingredients directly on the vegetables and mix. It saves time and a bit of washing up ;) Bake until tender, it usually takes about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment