Sunday 24 January 2010

Vegan breakfast and/or brunch for a lazy weekend

When I was younger, I didn't care too much about having 'the most important meal of the day'. When you have to get up at 6 am to make it for your train that will bring you to uni, you really don't bother with preparing an elaborated morning meal ;) Things have changed with time, now if I don't get breakfast, I am literally starving at work before 10.. The most common morning choice is porridge, made with soy milk, some fresh fruit, sunflower seeds, flax seeds or some nuts, whatever I have at hand. Tastes great and keeps me full for a long time ;) This weekend however, I decided to try something more special. Yesterday I baked these fantastic banana-walnut muffins from 1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson. 


What can I say, they were amazing! To quote my husband 'the best muffins I'd ever had';) I froze half of them, so that we can have a delicious breakfast next weekend.

After the sweet treat on Saturday, on Sunday I have decided to got for a vegan version of the classic English breakfast. I didn’t use any specific recipe, except for the Savoury Scrambled Tofu  taken from Refresh by Ruth Tal. The rest was inspired by The Complete Book of Vegan Cooking breakfast recipes. I baked some vegan sausages in the oven, together with a few tomatoes, cut in half and seasoned with salt, pepper and dried basil and a few mushrooms. When the sausages and the vegetables where almost done, I added a few bread slices. I also heated up some beans seasoned with salt, pepper and a bit of chili. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment